Literary agents work as freelance agents who are personally hired by authors or they may work for literary agencies. Their work involves promoting authors, writers, and their written works to book publishers in the hope of getting them a contract to publish their work. Literary agents may also sell authors and their works to film producers, television networks, radio stations, or theatre managers to be able to stage or film adaptations of the author’s work. Due to the nature of the work, literary agents are mostly paid on a commission basis, getting around ten to twenty percent of the author’s earnings if the author is able to get a publication contract.
Sample Literary Agent CV Template
London, W7 5HN
Dynamic and reliable professional is seeking a job as a literary agent in an agency where I can maximize my negotiating skills and contribute to the successful promotion of authors and their work.
Summary of Qualification
- Three years of professional experience as a literary agent.
- Excellent negotiating and persuasive skills.
- Sound knowledge of business side of literary industry.
- Exceptional skill in oral and written communication.
- Familiar with different literary genre.
Career Experience/Job History
2007 – Present: Literary Agent, Creativeworks Promotion Agency
- Review and evaluate proposals to decide on authors to represent and specific work to promote.
- Give editorial advice and career advice to authors.
- Meet with book and film publishers to negotiate contract and discuss intellectual property rights.
2002 – 2006: Bachelor of Arts in Communication Arts, London University
Professional reference will be furnished upon request.