Set designers are employed by theatre companies, television networks, or movie production companies. They are responsible for planning and designing the set for stage plays and shoots for television programs and films. Set designers need to have knowledge in logistics and props to be able to make a detailed plan and specify the materials that must be provided to complete set designs. They must also be innovative and resourceful in conceptualizing set designs that fit each scene and compliment the actions and movement to be done by performers on the set. Set designers can take relevant bachelor’s degree in theatre and arts or take training or on-the-job experience.
Sample Set Designer CV
Manor House Lane, Birmingham
West Midlands, B28 1PS
Innovative and resourceful job seeker hoping to utilize my skills in a production company that allows room for career growth and enhances my abilities.
Summary of Qualification
- Two years of work experience as a set designer.
- Knowledgeable in the use of props and improvisation to create believable set designs.
- Resourceful and capable of designing sets based on available budget.
- Can work as part of a team or independently with minimum supervision.
- Exposed to different kinds of settings and conditions.
- Excellent trouble-shooting and decision-making skills.
- Capable of working long hours and willing to travel.
Career Experience/Job History
2008 – Present: Set Designer, Inspire Productions Co.
- Work on different projects, at least two films in a year.
- Plan and implement set designs based on the kind of film and need of the director.
- Research on the time period and background of the film location to create realistic sets.
2003 – 2007: Bachelor of Arts in Communication Arts, Birmingham University
Professional reference will be furnished upon request.